Why We're Hiring
Column is looking to make a Customer Success hire and add an account manager to our customer experience team as we rapidly onboard new publishing partners and support their ingestion of public notices from the communities they serve.
We are looking for a full-time addition to join a small team at an early-stage, venture-backed startup focused on the future of public interest information & local news.
As one of the early members of the team, you'll have an immediate impact on our go-to-market strategy, customer experience design, and team culture. In practice, this means everything from conducting customer interviews, making recommendations to product and development on customer feedback, doing customer support, interacting with teams across the organization, and creating a foundation for a world-class customer experience.
We are looking to add capacity rapidly. We think this role is excellent for someone who is drawn to joining a dynamic team trying to do something of consequence, enjoys interacting with a diverse range of customers and stakeholders, and wants to help build out a customer experience function from the ground-up.
About the Column Team
For many of the early members of the team, this is our second company together. We are building a company of consequence and know from experience that having a team of exceptional people is the best part of the journey.
Our team is made of folks that have followed non-traditional paths to local media and to startups. Our founding team's first jobs included: newspaper delivery, political campaign staff, museum docent, library book-shelver, chartering planes, and rec-center marketing. We know that experiences with other industries, geographies, and life backgrounds are critical to creating the best product possible for our partners.
We are a team of principled, talented builders and are excited to build this public benefit corporation with other great people.
Column is a remote-first company with core members of our team on four continents and an in-person headquarters in Washington, DC.
This role will report to the Head of Customer Experience and work collaboratively with our partnerships, support, and product team.
- Supporting newspapers around the world by helping them implement and adopt innovative technologies
- Manage a portfolio of newspaper partners across the adoption pipeline
- Build and maintain positive, lasting, and meaningful relationships with newspapers and their customers
- Identify and prioritize problems, develop several proposed solutions, and work with team members to own the execution of these solutions
- Inform the product roadmap to keep our product aligned with market need
- Experience in account management, customer success, consultitative sales, product management, client-facing operations or consulting role, or as an entrepreneur/founder.
- Enthusiasm to convert interested potential users into long-term partners (it's not a sales cycle, but an adoption and implementation journey can be similar!)
- Excellent organizational skills, project management, and time management
- Effective communicator across multiple communication channels (clear written and verbal communication skills)
- Experience with and confidence learning modern web tools
- Excitement to be a part of building a company from the ground up
Qualities we're looking for
- Rigor - attention to detail without losing the forest for the trees; strong analytical lens on what's working and what isn't — consistent and adept follow-through.
- Humility - This role will be invigorating in some ways and challenging in others. A quiet confidence switching gears between the fast-paced articulation of problems to be solved to finicky rote work involved in the execution will be helpful in this role (all while developing process automation to decrease the rote part of the role!).
- Optimism - we are setting out to do a hard and important thing in an industry underserved by modern technology, something entirely uncertain, and optimism that it is possible is a must.
- Effective Communicator - we want folks who are empathetic, exceptional listeners, and clear & concise communicators verbally and in writing.
Compensation & Benefits
Our benefits will grow as fast or faster than we do, starting with:
- Base salary and meaningful equity stake in the venture
- Healthcare, Vision, & Dental coverage for you and your dependents
- Unlimited (and encouraged) paid time off
- Paid parental leave
What you'll do
- First week: get to know the product, the road ahead, and the team
- First three weeks: conduct customer interviews, provide backup on customer support, and take on scoped projects to enhance our product and user experience
- First nine weeks: develop and implement Customer Success Plans, execute quarterly reviews with customers, onboard publishing partners, take shifts on customer support, and make recommendations for enhancements to how we conduct customer success, customer support, and how we deliver an exceptional customer journey
- First year: serve as one of the first hires on a growing team, and provide key contributions and actionable insights that will lead to the success of the company. One year is about as long as our product has been used by partners, so we're looking to you to help us define what else this milestone includes!